Friday, March 8, 2013

Baby Shower, Part 1

When my husband and I decided we were ready to get pregnant, I started pinning ideas for our 'Baby Shower'. I spent endless hours looking at invitations, favors, decorations, etc. I dreamt about the day I get to celebrate my baby's life for a long long time. I became obsessed with finding just the perfect theme, the perfect color, everything absolutely everything needed to be perfect. Then I found out I needed fertility treatments and suddenly my desire for the perfect baby shower went away. My obsession quickly shifted to searching all about fertility treatments. That was until I found out I was pregnant after our first IUI attempt. So my obsession began again...

A story from my childhood... Ever since I can remember, my grandfather's first priority was me. He was my father, my best friend. He did everything in his power to make me happy. He always was there for me not matter what. He was there when I was born, when I took my first steps, my first day of school, attended all my school plays, helped me with homework, took me places... there is no a single meaningful event in my life that I don't remember seeing his smiling proud face. The last time I hugged, kissed him was back in 2004. I miss him, but all the memories I have of him and I make me feel proud of who I am today.

When my husband and I got married, we decided to have a few minutes of silence during our wedding ceremony as a dedication to my grandfather. During this time, I remembered all the wonderful things he taught me. I knew he was smiling and so happy I found love... I found the man he always wanted for me, a man who would treat me with respect, love, and will always treat me as a princess.

It was really important for me to somehow incorporate a memory of my grandfather for the baby shower. I spent hours thinking of a meaningful way to honor him again... That's when I ran across this invitation on Pinterest:





It was PERFECT! and here is why: all my family members and I were at a birthday party. I remember how much fun I had. That was until everyone EXCEPT me got a balloon to take home. I cried, cried, and cried. I wanted to take a balloon home with me. My cousins did a darn good job reminding me that I was the ONLY one without a balloon. I kept running to my grandpa and telling him how sad I was I didn't get a balloon. I cried on his shoulder. I remember he got so mad I didn't get a balloon that he tried convincing one of my older cousins to give me his balloon. I just wouldn't stop crying. I was devastated!!! My grandfather hated seeing me cry. I remember he came over to me and in a very funny voice said...

"A****, tu no tienes bomba!"

Translation: "A*****, you don't have a balloon". You may think I am crazy or why in the world would she write about this. Well, the thing is the translation makes no sense, but when you say it in Spanish, it fits the situation perfectly. I remembered everyone was laughing... so was I! and just like that... I wasn't sad anymore. From that moment on, my family always referred to me as the girl without a balloon... I have so many great memories with my family about this phrase, "Ana, tu no tienes bomba!".

So, when I found this invitation my first thought was, "I have a balloon now". I started crying... It felt very honest to say that, "I have a balloon!"... It was almost like my grandfather always knew I would end up getting my balloon one day. I sent several texts my best friend and told her I NEEDED this invitation. She ordered the balloons... and we started making the invitations for my baby shower. And just like that, my dream baby shower started to become a reality.






My interpretation of this:
My grandfather knew I will be a mom one day!
...
I won my fight against infertility,
I finally got my balloon!

...and my baby shower invites were a huge hit :)

So, to my family members, who doesn't have a balloon now?

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

1 comment:

  1. Such cute invitations!! Seriously adorable.

    ReplyDelete